Power List 2019
Ajay Bakaya
Power List 2019 - Ajay Bakaya

Ajay Bakaya

Managing Director, Sarovar Hotels & Resorts
Bakaya is driving the expansion in global markets such as the Middle east and the African continent.

The seasoned hotelier has often said that long distance cycling taught him a thing or two about the importance of positive energy and self-control, attributes that go a long distance as a hotelier. The managing director of Sarovar Hotels & Resorts is responsible for overseeing the operations and development of the group. He has set his sight on expanding the group’s portfolio to 100 hotels by 2020. Founded in 1994, right now the group portfolio includes 75 properties across 50 destinations, under three brands — Sarovar Premiere, Sarovar Portico and Hometel, besides some properties under other brands.

Bakaya has revealed that the group has signed up new hotels in Ajmer, Jhansi, Dibrugarh (Assam), Guhagarh, Junagadh, Gorakhpur, and Dalhousie. Today, Sarovar’s footprint expands across most of India and five countries in the African continent, including Tanzania, Kenya, South Sudan, Zambia and Ethiopia. They are now looking at expanding to the Middle East. In 2017, European hospitality brand Louvre Hotels bought a majority stake in the chain, infusing it with much-required cash for expansion. And to think that Bakaya stumbled upon the hospitality career quite by accident. The youngest of the four siblings, Bakaya studied in Shimla before moving to Mumbai to study at Hansraj College. He worked as a medical representative for a while after college, before opting for management training at The Oberoi Group. He went on to study hospitality management at Cornell-Essec, France.

Bakaya, who has worked with a very exclusive French kitchen headed by chef Jacky Freon, says he wanted a job in the F&B section when he joined The Oberoi Group. But his first job was actually as banqueting manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai. He went on to work across the globe in senior management positions, from the African continent to countries such as Australia, France and the UK. He began his Sarovar journey in a shared office with a single hotel. Today, Sarovar Hotels is recognised as a tour de force in the mid-market segment. Sarovar operates largely under a managed property model. While 65 per cent of the group’s revenue is generated from the business clientele, the rest 35 per cent is from the leisure segment.

As the next phase of growth, Bakaya is looking at underexplored pilgrim spots such as Katra in Jammu, Ajmer in Rajasthan and Bodh Gaya in Bihar, which has a captive market of international Buddhist pilgrims. In India, where 12 new Sarovar hotels will open by the end of this year, many of them would be in temple towns.

more

Power List 2019 - Zaid Sadiq
Executive Director – Liaison & Hospitality
Power List 2019- Vivek Bhalla
Regional VP – South West Asia
Power List 2019 - Vikram Oberoi
CEO & MD
Power List 2019 - Vijay Thacker
Director
Power List 2019 - Sunjae Sharma
VP – Operations
Power List 2019- Souvagya Mohapatra
Executive Director
Power List 2019 - Satyen Jain
Director
Power List 2019 - Sanjay Sethi
CEO & MD
Power List 2019 - Rattan Keswani
Director & Deputy MD
Power List 2019 - Ranjit Batra
President – Hospitality
Power List 2019 - Neel Raheja
Group President
Power List 2019 - Nakul Anand
Executive Director
Power List 2019 - Navjit Ahluwalia
Country head and Sr. VP
Power List 2019 - Manav Thadani
Founder Chairman
Power List 2019 - Kb Kachru
Chairman Emeritus
Power List 2019 -Dr Jyotsna Suri
Chairperson & MD
Power List 2019 - Jitu Virwani
Chairman & MD
Power List 2019 - Jean-Michel Cassé
COO – India and South Asia
Power List 2019 - Rajiv Kaul
President
Power List 2019 - Rahul Chaudhary
Executive Director
Power List 2019 - Puneet Chhatwal
MD & CEO
Power List 2019 - Priya Paul
Director
Power List 2019 - Patanjali Keswani
Chairman & MD
Power List 2019 - Nirupa Shankar
Director
Power List 2019 - Neeraj Govil
Senior VP – South Asia
Power List 2019- Dilip Puri
Founder
Power List 2019 - Dr Ankur Bhatia
Executive Director
Power List 2019 - Amit Bhosale
Managing Director
Power List 2019 - P.R.S. Oberoi
Executive Chairman